Homemade Cinnamon Brown Sugar Tarts
These are a family favorite and they're so fun to make together!
Pop Tarts are a childhood staple, but homemade ones are a real treat too. They're warm and so delicious right out of the oven and that's why I think you'll enjoy this recipe that I found on Home and Family! It's my favorite show to watch when I'm home with my toddler on my days off.
You can even use multiple filling options if you have someone who would prefer blueberry over cinnamon sugar, which is was we did at our house. TIP: The easiest way to mix up the fillings is to buy pie fillings, that way you have easy options.
1. Make the cinnamon sugar filling by mixing:
1/2 cup of brown sugar
2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
4 teaspoons of all-purpose flour
2. Once you mix that up, you can prep your dough! You can make your own pie crust, or use the frozen sheets for your dough. I use the frozen sheets, because I'm always tight on time.
Just cut your dough into rectangles:
3. Coat your rectangles with egg wash and then place your filling in the center. Try to leave room to seal the edges. In this photo below, I used the blueberry pie filling.
4. Place the pie crust that doesn't have filling on top. Then, use a fork to seal the edges.
5. Use the egg wash again to coat the top. Then pop these tarts in the oven for 15 minutes at 375 degrees. Be sure to use a baking sheet that you grease with butter or spray.
6. Then it's time to make the frosting or ... you can use some from your pantry already made. It depends on the topping that you put inside the tart to be honest.
7. To make the cinnamon sugar icing like the recipe calls for, just mix up:
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon milk
*Be sure to put the icing on top, while the tart it hot out of the oven. It's not so easy to spread, so let it melt a bit before you try to spread the icing around. I also enjoyed just using some from the jar in my pantry that was meant for a cake mix.
These tarts are so yummy, they'll disappear if you don't grab one first!